Uxendon lies in the north of Brent.
The name Uxendon consists of two parts. The first one comes either from the Wixan, a 7th century Ango-Saxon tribe, or from the Celtic for 'water'. The second part is the Old English for 'hill'. It used to be a small medieval settlement. In the 14th century it became a manor. Richard Brembre, a grocer and Lord Mayor of London lived at Uxendon.
Catholic Plots Connections
In the 16th Uxendon belonged to the Bellamy family. They supported Roman Catholics after the Reformation and sheltered Catholic priests. In 1586 Anthony Babington, a principal conspirator in the Babington plot against Elizabeth I, was arrested on their property. As a result of this and other Catholic arrests on their property, the Bellamys suffered at the end of the 16th century. By 1608 their land was in the hands of the Page family, the leading landowners in the Wembley area. They enclosed more of the open land in the area.
By 1732 a new Barn Hill Farm existed on the summit of Barn Hill. By the 19th century the area was divided between several farms, one of which was Uxendon Farm, housing 13 people.
In the mid-19th century Uxendon was the venue for steeplechases and well known for its 'sensational water jump', while nearby Forty Farm was famous for horses.
By 1900 Uxendon Farm had become a shooting ground for the Lancaster Shooting Club. The 1908 Olympic clay pigeon shooting was held here, and Preston Road Halt (request stop) on the Metropolitan Railway was open nearby.
These developments facilitated suburban construction. Some houses had already been built at Uxendon by 1930. In 1932 Uxendon Farm, which was in a poor condition, was destroyed to make way for the Metropolitan Railway extension from Wembley to Stanmore ( later the Bakerloo and today the Jubilee Line).
In the following years the whole of Uxendon was developed except for Barn Hill Open Space which had been purchased by the Council from the owners of Preston Farm in 1927.
Return to Main Menu
© Brent Heritage website 2002