Tokyngton is in eastern Wembley, south of the Chiltern Railway line.
The Most Populated Part of Harrow
Tokyngton means 'the farm of the sons of Toca'. In the medieval times it was of the most populated parts of Harrow parish. The name is first mentioned in 1171. In the next century it had a chapel and a vicar.
A manor house belonging to the Barnvilles and later to the Bellamy family was built around 1500. By the 16th Tokyngton Manor was a farm owned by the Page family, important Wembley landowners.
The Rural Past
Over centuries Tokyngton developed from a farm to a small village standing amongst farmland, first arable, then hey followed by animal farming in the 19th century.
The coming of railways and bus services to Wembley encourage housing development in the area. In the beginning of the 20th century the Oakington Manor Estate was developed for 'high-class residences'.
Tokyngton had a temporary church from 1926 and a permanent one from 1933.
During the Second World War Tokyngton had its share of bombing. One of the first buildings destroyed was Tokyngton Manor House, which was blown up in an ARP exercise in 1939.
Tokyngton has been developed as a quite residential area, with many council estates.
A Bakerloo line depot was built at Tokyngton in 1973, which was an unpopular development.
Return to Main Menu
© Brent Heritage website 2002